An explosion wipes out the LuthorCorp board of directors and narrowly misses Oliver. Clark and Lana track the explosive to Winslow Schott, a toymaker with a grudge against Oliver.
original airdate--February 5,2009 rating-3.93 million
Songs:Theme song--"Save Me" by Remy Zero
- "Goodnight, Travel Well" by The Killers
- "By My Side" by JJ Grey & Mofro
- "Lay It On the Line" by Rebekah LeBeau
- "It Ends Tonight" by The All-American Rejects
Antagonists: Lex Luthor and Winslow Schott
Trivia: Lex tells Clark and Lana: "Do you know what people remember about the greatest star-crossed romances? Not how the lovers met, but the way the relationship tragically ended...." One other example would be William Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, which ends with the lovers committing suicide.
- The Toyman planted his bomb in a Newton's cradle in the opening scene.
- Winslow Schott is Smallville's version of comics villain "The Toyman."
- The last episode with Lana Lang.
- The toy monkey actually clapped its cymbals 69 times, sixteen times more than when the bomb was supposed to go off (53).
- When trying to track down Lex's IP address, Chloe mentions that "his IP address is still leaping tall wireless towers in a single bound." This is a direct reference to the original Superman comics where instead of flying, Superman could leap tall skyscrapers in a single bound.