Angel and Spike travel to Rome with plans to rescue Buffy from their old nemesis The Immortal.
While in Italy, they also attempt to retrieve the head of a fallen demon leader to prevent a perilous power struggle between several warring demon clans.
original airdate--May 05,2004 rating--2.8/4.7 million
music--Theme Song: "Angel Main Theme" by Darling Violetta
- Take Me In Your Arms (Torna a Surriento) by Dean Martin
- Immortal's Lackey,Snapped Neck by Angelus in Dungeon
Monster of the Week:
- The Immortal: Although he does not appear in any scenes of this episode, it can be inferred from the descriptions of him that he is a highly diplomatic man who Angel only casts as his archenemy because he knows that the Immortal is so much more capable than he is. The Immortal's only powers seem to be his immortality, but he has a legion of followers who do his other work for him.
- Wolfram & Hart: Although it has been mentioned in the past that Wolfram & Hart has offices in all major cities and dimensions, this is the first time that any of them are seen. Angel and Spike go to the Rome branch and everything is more or less the same.
- Illyria: Illyria confirms that she could communicate with plants, as mentioned by Spike in previous episodes. She calls it "the song of the Green," which may be a reference to the mystical "Green" life force in the DC Comics series Swamp Thing. She also retains the ability to alter her physical form, in this episode she takes on Fred's appearance.
For over a century, the vampire, Angelus, blazed a swath of murder and mayhem across Europe, until a gypsy curse restored his soul. His guilt and remorse eventually led him to Los Angeles where he battles evil and helps the helpless in his neverending quest for redemption.