Giles' quiet existence is jeopardised when a murder victim is linked to his past.
Meanwhile, Buffy and Angel look for a way to save Ms Calender from a Demon that has taken possession of her soul.
original airdate--November 10,1997 rating--3.7 million
music--Theme song--buffy the vampire slayer by Nerf Herder
- "Mark of Eyghon" by Christophe Beck
- "The Sound Of Music" by Roger & Hammerstein
- Diedre Page, killed and possessed earlier by Eyghon the Sleepwalker
- Philip Henry, killed and possessed by Eyghon outside of the Sunnydale High library
- Eyghon, destroyed by the demon within Angel
- Randall, killed and possessed by Eyghon (in Giles' memory)
- Thomas Sutcliffe, killed and possessed by Eyghon (only mentioned)
- Two unidentified vampires dusted by Buffy outside Sunnydale Hospital
- Watcher Training: Giles mentions that he studied history at Oxford. One would assume that this was part of his training as a Watcher because he lumps it in with the pressure he felt over his inescapable destiny.
Monster of the Week:
During Giles' rebellious youth, he and his group of occultist friends used possession by the demon Eyghon as a way of getting high, but they were unable to control the demon and it killed one of their friends when it possessed him wholly.
Willow managed to dig up information about the demon in one of Giles' books:
- "Eyghon, also called the Sleepwalker, can only exist in this reality by possessing an unconscious host. Temporary possession imbues the host with a euphoric feeling of power. Unless the proper rituals are observed, the possession is permanent, and Eyghon will be born from within the host. Once called, Eyghon can also take possession of the dead, but its demonic energy soon disintegrates the host, and it must jump to the nearest dead or unconscious person to continue living."
The ritual in question involves being tattooed with the Mark of Eyghan, a symbol that has its roots in Etruscan. Ethan proves that the demon has no interest in those who do not possess the mark by tattooing Buffy and burning his own mark off with acid. The demon is destroyed for good when it attempts to possess Angel and he destroys it using sheer willpower.
- Giles: The "Ripper" side of Giles, alluded to during the Halloween episode, is expanded upon when Eyghon comes to Sunnydale. When he was 21, he dropped out of college and fell into a bad crowd of magic practitioners which included Ethan. Also, apparently, he once played bass guitar.