Cordelia finds out you must be careful what you wish for. When she tells her new friend Anya that Buffy is to blame for all her problems, she unleashes a Demon that only Buffy can save her from.
original airdate--December 08,1988 rating--4.2 million
songs--Theme song--buffy the vampire slayer by Nerf Herder
- "Dedicated to Pain" by Plastic
- "Never Noticed" by Gingersol
- "Slayer's Elegy" by Christophe Beck
- "Blood Machine" by Christophe Beck
- "Tired of Being Alone" by The Spies
- "Get Out of My Way" by Music House
- "Bizzaro Sunnydale" by Christophe Beck
- Unidentified Demon, killed with a knife by Buffy in Park
- a vampire, dusted by Buffy in the Street
- Unidentified girl, drained by a vampire in front of The Bronze (alternate reality)
- Unidentified girl, drained by Willow (alternate reality)
- Cordelia Chase, drained by Willow and Xander (alternate reality)
- Three vampires, dusted by Buffy (alternate reality)
- Unidentified Cordette, drained with a machine by The Master (alternate reality)
- Angel, dusted by Xander (alternate reality)
- Xander, dusted by Buffy (alternate reality)
- Willow, dusted by Oz and a unidentified man (alternate reality)
- Buffy, neck snapped by The Master (alternate reality)
- Nancy, killed by vampire
- Vampire Lore: According to one of the white hats in the alternate Sunnydale, vampires are attracted to bright colors and are less likely to notice earth tones. For this reason, the survivors only wear demure colors.
- Alternate Universe: In the backwards universe, many things are different outside of the obvious change of vampires (led by The Master) taking over Sunnydale. Larry, typically seen as a harmless antagonist, is part of the "white hats" along with Oz, Giles and an unnamed woman. Meanwhile, Angel is kept as a tortured pet of The Master's vampire cronies, Willow and Xander, and Buffy is a war-worn soldier who lives in Cleveland (which has its own share of demonic trouble.
Monster of the Week:
- Anyanka is a "patron saint of scorned women" who specializes in granting wishes to women who have been wronged by men. The spell is activated after her necklace, which is also her symbol, is placed around her neck and the user makes a wish. In order to reverse these wishes, the power center of the demon must be destroyed. When Anyanka's necklace is smashed by Giles at the end of the episode, everything reverts back to normal and Anyanka becomes a regular mortal—unable to grant any more wishes.
Buffy Summers looks like your typical high school cheerleader type, with nothing to worry about but grades and boys. Change that to vampires and demons and you'll be right. For Buffy is the "chosen one," the latest in a long line of Slayers whose destiny it is to fight evil.