Buffy takes Dawn to her first day at the newly restored Sunnydale High, only to discover that the school still hides the deep, menacing secrets of years past.
Meanwhile, a remorseful Willow recoups in England and turns to Giles and the coven to learn to control her magic.
original airdate--September 24,2002 rating--5.0 million
music--Theme song "Help I'm Alive" by Metric
- "So High" by Strange Radio
- Pelletti, beheaded by Buffy with a sword
- One Istanbul Potential Slayer, stabbed by a Harbinger of Death.
- Three Vengeful Spirits, destroyed by Xander when he breaks the Talisman
Monster of the Week:
- Manifest Spirits: The zombie-ghosts that appear throughout the episode were created by someone using a talisman to raise their spirits and bodies. The spirits are dissipated when the talisman that manifested them is broken. It isn't revealed who or what left the talisman in this episode.
- Sunnydale High: Sunnydale High reopens for the first time after being demolished by Buffy and the rest of the graduating class during the season three finale, Graduation Day.
- Big Bads: Various Big Bads from the past six seasons appear in this episode. This includes The Master, Drusilla, Mayor Wilkins, Adam, Glory and Warren Meers. They appear to Spike in the order that they last appeared.
- Back to the Beginning: Buffy and Xander both go back to Sunnydale High, albeit as employees.
- Willow: Willow is in England trying to harness and control her magical powers with Giles. It's discovered that the magic is actually a part of her now, and not just a hobby anymore.
- Spike: Spike has spent the entire summer locked up in the basement of Sunnydale High after his soul was given back to him in the season six finale, Grave.
- Buffy: Buffy accepts a job as sort of a counsellor at Sunnydale High. She accepts without hesitation so that she can keep an eye on the school.