Buffy and her friends attempt to unravel the secret behind "The First's" control over Spike.
Meanwhile, Principal Wood seeks Giles' cooperation in destroying Spike for the good of everyone.
original airdate--March 25,2003 rating--2.3 million
music--Theme song--buffy the vampire slayer by Nerf Herder
- "Early One Morning" by Roger Whitaker.
- "Early One Morning" by Michelle O'Hare
- Two vampires, dusted by Spike
- Anne Pratt, sired and dusted by Spike
- Richard, dusted by Buffy
Goofs: When Buffy goes to Robin Woods office to tell him everything is still normal in the school you can see a crew member to the left of the screen.
- After Spike finishes reading his poem to his mother, the piece of paper that it's written on disappears from his hands between shots. We never hear or see him put it in his pocket and he doesn't move to put it down on the table beside him.
- When Spike tells his mother that he's become a vampire, she asks him if he's drunk. He responds with "Little bit." Just after he says this, someone can be heard coughing off-camera. It could be his mother because she isn't supposed to be well, but it seems odd that the camera wouldn't be on her during this. And a cough wouldn't really be necessary for the scene.