THE STUNNING SERIES FINALE! Buffy catches up with Angel, who has come to Sunnydale with the intention of helping Buffy in her impending battle. After Buffy refuses his help, he heads back to LA, but not before handing Buffy an ancient amulet which he says will be of help to her in battle.
Meanwhile, Buffy then heads back home, where she and her friends prepare to lead the potential slayers into the Hellmouth waging one final battle against the First Evil and his army of vampires.
original airdate--May 20,2003 rating--4.9 million
music--Theme music--Buffy the Vampire Slayer Theme by Nerf Herder
- "The Final Fight" by Robert Duncan
- "Slayer Victory" by Robert Duncan
- "Every Girl, A Slayer" by Robert Duncan
- Caleb, killed by Buffy with the Scythe
- One Turok-Han vampire, dusted by Amanda
- Three Turok-Han vampires, dusted by Vi
- One Turok-Han vampire, dusted by Buffy
- Four Turok-Han vampires, dusted by Buffy with the Scythe
- One Turok-Han vampire, betrayed by Giles
- Two Turok-Han vampires, betrayed by Anya
- One Turok-Han vampire, snapped by Spike
- One Turok-Han vampire, dusted by Faith with the Scythe
- Three Turok-Han vampires, burned by the sun, declenched by Dawn
- Anya Jenkins, bisected by a Harbinger of Death
- One Harbinger of Death, killed by Giles with a sword
- Two Turok-Han vampires, dusted by Rona with the Scythe
- Amanda, killed by a Turok-Han vampire
- One Harbinger of Death, killed by Andrew with a sword
- The remnants Turok-Han vampire, all burned with a pure light by Spike
- Spike, himself burned by his pure light
Back to the Beginning: There are several "back to the beginning" references in this episode because it is the last. They're as follows:
- The First taking the form of Buffy recites the oft-heard description of the slayer which was heard in the introduction for the first season. The full quote is as follows: "In every generation there is a Chosen One. She alone will stand against the vampires, the demons and the forces of darkness. She is the Slayer."
- After the new characters go to their respective posts, we're left with the core Scoobies and Giles, the original characters.
- After the camera spinning and the four discussing what they'll do tomorrow, Giles recites a quote from the second episode, "The Earth is definitely doomed."
- Slayer Mythos: As of this episode, every potential slayer that will ever exist is granted the powers of the slayer. Instead of one slayer in every generation, basically every girl in the world has slayer powers.
- Sunnydale: The entire city of Sunnydale is destroyed at the end of the episode, definitively putting a close on Buffy's chapter in history.
- Willow: Willow finally redeems herself and her magic usage by transforming into the exact opposite of evil Willow (i.e. bathed in white light and glowing softly).
Trivia: The sequence with the Mutant Enemy mascot, the little monster that goes "Grr Argh" at the end of all episodes, was changed for a total of six episodes:
- Becoming: Part 2 (#2.22) it said, 'Oh, I need a hug."
- Amends (#3.10) it wore a Santa hat and bells were jingling.
- Graduation Day: Part 2 (#3.22) it wore a graduation cap.
- Once More, with Feeling (#6.7) it sang its "Grr Argh."
- Storyteller (#7.16) it sang, "We are as Gods."
- Chosen (#7.22) it looked out at the viewers instead of looking straight-forward.