Serenity encounters a ruthlessly professional bounty hunter, Jubal Early, who will stop at nothing to retrieve River. But River, feeling unwelcome on the ship, takes a novel approach to escaping from the long arm of the Alliance.
original airdate--December 13,2002 rating--2.6 million
music-- Theme song "The Ballad of Serenity" by: Joss Whedon Performed by: Sonny Rhodes
- "Tears/River's Eyes"
- "River Tricks Early"
- "Early Takes Serenity"
- "River's Perception/Saffron"
Goofs: After the fight in the beginning with Saffron, Reynolds' nosebleed disappears and reappears between shots.
- During the attempt to reprogram the waste disposal unit, the first shot of the computer screen shows a Microsoft Windows desktop.
- When Simon gives Jayne a shot, you can see the fake needle retract into the syringe.
- The port side shuttle is visible in Serenity's port (left) docking bay when both shuttles have left the ship.
- When Mal and Saffron are running from the authorities, they leave the Bellerophon Estates through a door which uses a crash bar to exit. However, when the guards arrive to that door, it has changed color and the door hardware is now a lever-style handle.
Trivia--In the theater scene, depicted on the screen in the background as shadow art, are ships leaving the planet Earth and arriving at various planets.
Blooper:If you look carefully, you can see CGI cockroaches as the camera passes from the dining area down to River straddling the catwalk in the "Batgirl scene".
- Although costume designer Shawna Trpcic says that Zoe's cord necklace is symbolic of her marriage to Wash and never takes it off (in the commentary to Shindig), Zoe is NOT wearing her cord necklace when we see her and Wash in their bunk.