The crew of the Serenity are in for a gunfight when one of Inara's companion colleagues asks for their help. The Serenity crew defends a bordello from a gunslinger who got a prostitute pregnant and now intends to collect the child; Mal falls for the bordello's madam.
original airdate--August 19,2003
music-- Theme song "The Ballad of Serenity" by: Joss Whedon Performed by: Sonny Rhodes
Goofs: When Nandi is killed, she falls to the floor on her back, her left arm by her side and her right on the floor by her head. We see her in this position a number of times, but when Mal and Inara look at one another at the end of this scene, Nandi's left arm is now lying across her chest.
- When Mal and Nandi are talking on the couch, Mal has his arm around her, but when the camera moves to show Nandi talking, his hand is next to her, and then his arm is around her again when the camera zooms back out.
- When Wash is shooting at Rance's men on board the Serenity, he is shown using a large caliber revolver. The chamber never revolves when he fires. And while he fires much faster than should be possible for a revolver of that caliber, they can be loaded with less powerful rounds, a .38 loaded in a .357 for example.
- The "newborn" baby is shown holding its head up. This doesn't happen until around the third month.
Trivia--In the theater scene, depicted on the screen in the background as shadow art, are ships leaving the planet Earth and arriving at various planets.
- The gun Wash uses to shoot at the bad guys in the cargo bay is a revolver, but the sound effects are for a semi-automatic gun. Also, he never pulls the trigger, since the chamber never spins.
- When Chari lets Rance in the back door, there is a HUGE TRUCK or TRAILER thing behind him (you have to slow down the playback to see a good look at it).
- When Rance Burgess comes for his baby, in one shot he is actually holding a plastic baby doll instead of a real baby.
- During the shoot out at the whore house, when Rance pulls his hovercraft around to the back door, the large gun on top of the hovercraft is missing, yet in the scene when Mal is chasing him on the horse and catches up to the craft, it's back!