Survivors wonder why Charlie and a pregnant Claire have been abducted - and by whom - and a search party ventures into the treacherous jungle to try to find and rescue the missing duo, but they suspect it was Ethan Rom that abducted the two somehow, who was recently discovered to not being a passneger on the plane that crash.
Meanwhile, inner-demons about his father resurface for Jack, and Boone and Locke discover another island mystery.
original airdate--December 8,2004 rating--18.88 million
song--"Main Title" (Composed by J.J. Abrams)
- "Charlie Hangs Around" by Michael Giacchino
Flashback: Jack Shephard
- Jack in the OR, attempting to resuscitate a female patient.
- to the OR again, as he looks over the dead patient's body.
- with Jack's father, encourages his son to sign off on the death report, which conveniently leaves out his father's mistakes.
- to the hospital, where Jack sees his father conversing with the deceased woman's husband in the hallway.
- to a medical review board, where Jack's father details what happened during the fateful surgery.
Goof: When Jack and his father begin to have words in the OR, as his father removes his gloves, in the shots facing Jack he stands with both hands on his hips, but in the shots facing his father, Jack's arms are crossed at his chest.
- As Jack performs CPR on Charlie, in the close-ups of Charlie, the twine lies curled under Charlie's head and his right hand rests on his chest, but in all the wideshots the long twine is spread all the way out, under/behind Charlie's head, and his right arm is stretched out to his side.
- After Kate cuts the "noose" line, Charlie and Jack fall, and when Kate jumps down a large piece of white equipment pops up on the left of the screen, just as she lands on the ground. Then, when Jack refuses to give up and resumes CPR, in Kate's close-up as she cries, "Stop," some more equipment is visible behind her on the left of the screen.
- When Ethan places his foot on Jack's chest, Jack has some leaves on his face that change position between the shots.
- In the scene where Walt is talking to Sawyer about Sayid, a boom mike can be seen at the top of the screen around the time when Sawyer says, "Why am I talking to a six-year-old?".
- When Walt rolls the dice, they land in a completely different position than in their following closeup.
- After Boone ties the red shirt around the tree, he places a red shirt on his shoulder. The position and width of it changes between shots.
- When Locke is about to leave to go search for Claire and Charlie, Michael stops him to talk. Locke throws the backpack over his right shoulder, but in the next close-up it's swung over his left (not a flipped shot).