Jack, Kate and Sawyer fight over possession of a newly discovered locked metal briefcase which might contain insights into Kate's mysterious past.
Meanwhile, Sayid asks a reluctant Shannon to translate notes he took from the French woman, a rising tide threatens to engulf the fuselage and the entire beach encampment, and Rose and a grieving Charlie tentatively bond over Claire's baffling disappearance.
original airdate--January 5,2005 rating--21.59 million
song--"Main Title" (Composed by J.J. Abrams)
- "Navel Gazing" by Michael Giacchino
- "Beyond the Sea" by Robbie Williams
- "La Mer" by Charles Trenet' sung by Shannon
Flashback: Kate Austen
- to find Kate at a bank, opening a new account, when three armed men enter and order everyone on the ground.
- to the bank, where the robbers are getting violent.
- to the back room of the bank, where in order to make it look good, Robber #1 slugs "Maggie" across the face.
- to the cage, where Robber #1 pockets bundles of cash.
Trivia--As part of a recurring theme, "815" is the safe deposit box that Kate needs access to.
Goofs: When Kate and Sawyer are discussing what to do with the case. Sawyers hair is constantly changing. Watch the gash on his head.
- When Shannon helps Sayid with the French translations, and particularly later when they sit on the beach, she wears a pink shawl which repeatedly changes position - on and off her shoulder and arms, the entire time.
- After Kate and Jack open the Halliburton case, when she finally removes the toy airplane from the envelope, the design of the wings and its engines are very different to the toy seen in other episodes, such as "Exodus 1".
- When Kate is in the bank office with her accomplice, Jason puts his right arm all the way around Kate's neck when they kiss, but in the next shot it's gone as his left hand is now on her face.
- At the bank, when Kate asks for the bank's key to box 815, she holds her key up in front of her face. In the following close-ups of Kate, the way she holds the key noticeably differs depending on camera angle.
- At the bank, when Kate shoots her accomplice in the leg, the small square indentation on the pants, around the bullet hole, where the stunt device is located, is rather obvious.
- In the scene where Sayid and Shannon are talking over the map and Shannon leaves, Sayid has his head resting against his hand with his fingers in his hair in the close up. When the shot changes his fingers are not in his hair, then when it changes back to a close up, they are again.
- When Kate and Sawyer happen upon the lovely waterfall, Sawyer removes his shirt and he has the bandage tied round the stab wound on his upper arm. When underwater, there is a different dressing on his arm; it is snugger, with no ends - most likely an elastic type to stay put during the underwater shots.
- On the beach, when Shannon questions Boone about his and Locke's whereabouts everyday, Boone wears a sleeveless tee shirt with large Asian characters on the front. Then, when Boone kneels beside Shannon the entire design actually disappears.