Stardate: 5483.7--The Enterprise enters an uncharted sector of space where Federation and Klingon vessels have been reported missing every 27 years.
original airdate--September 29,1973
Goofs: As Spock lies in Sick Bay giving instructions to Nurse Chapel, the other female crew member changes from African-American to Caucasian.
- When the all-female rescue party beams down to Taurus II, Nurse Chapel is in a red uniform, not her normal blue. In subsequent cuts, she is back in her blue uniform.
- In one scene a couple of crewman are suddenly not wearing their headbands. In the next scene, the headbands reappear.
- When Uhura confronts the leader of the females, she gives in and shows Uhura the past using a device that they have a specific name for. Even though the leader never calls the device by its name, Uhura uses the name when asking if it can locate the men.
Trivia: The title of this episode is a reference to the Legend of the Lorelei, which is an old German tale of a beautiful woman who lured sailors to the Rhine causing them to crash on the rocks - analogous to the sirens of Ancient Greek mythology.
- This is Nichelle Nichols's favorite episode because Uhura takes command of the Enterprise.
- This episode features the one and only time in all of the Star Trek series and films that Captain Kirk says, "Beam us up, Scotty!" It has long been thought of as one of those made up phrases connected to the franchise (in the original Star Trek: The Original Series, Kirk and others always said something like "Scotty, three to beam up." or "Enterprise, beam us up."). But Kirk does say it in this episode.