Stardate: 2817.6-2819.8--When a friend of Kirk's dies under mysterious circumstances, Kirk suspects a Shakespearean actor of being the mass murderer at a colony where Kirk was one of the few survivors of the massacre who had actually seen the murderer. Kirk brings the actor and his daughter on-board to determine the man's guilt or innocence, but he becomes the next target of the killer.
original airdate--December 8, 1966
music: "Theme from Star Trek" "Where No Man Has Gone Before" by Alexander Courage
- "Captain's log, stardate 2817.6. Starship Enterprise diverted from scheduled course, purpose: to confirm discovery by Dr. Thomas Leighton of an extraordinary new synthetic food which would totally end the threat of famine on Cygnia Minor, a nearby Earth colony."
- "Captain's log, stardate 2818.9. There are many questions in my mind, too many perhaps about the actor Karidian and his daughter. For personal reasons, I'm almost afraid to learn the answers."
- "Captain's log, stardate 2819.1. Ship's officer Riley's condition worsening, Dr. McCoy making lab analysis to determine cause and antidote. Entire crew deeply concerned."
- "Captain's log, stardate 2819.8. Suspect under surveillance, strategic areas under double guard, performance of the Karidian Players taking place as scheduled."
- "Medical log. Lieutenant Riley sufficiently recovered to be discharged, but the captain has ordered him restricted to sickbay to prevent contact with passenger who calls himself Karidian, and who's suspected of being Kodos the Executioner, and of murdering the Lieutenant's family."
Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Its five-year mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.
Klingon: logh: HeH Qav'e'. DaH 'entepray' Duj lengmey lutalu'. Qu' vagh-DIS: Huj chu' qo', yISam yIn tayqeq chu', vay' boldly nuqDaq V pagh 'ej explore.