Mulder and Scully are called in after a space shuttle launch is aborted and evidence of some bizarre sabotage is found.
Meanwhile, the former astronaut who is in charge of the mission is apparently haunted by something he encountered during a spacewalk on a previous mission.
original airdate--November 12,1993 rating--10.7 million
music--theme song "X-Files" by Mark Snow
Goofs--When Captain Belt is going to bed after the press conference, the bottle on his side table moves between shots.
- When Mulder is at Ground Control and the woman is telling the space ship that they're going into fly-by-wire mode, the Mulder's visitor pass changes from beneath his jacket to above his jacket between shots.
- When Max Fenig first starts talking to Moulder in the prisoner compound, a large square greenish-white reflection can be seen in his glasses which clearly has nothing to do with the location scene.
- Mountains can be seen in the background of the motel, which is supposed to be in Townsend, Wisconsin. There are no mountains in Wisconsin (and there are no large hills in Oconto County Wisconsin, where Townsend is located), but there are many in British Columbia where the series was filmed up until its sixth season.
- When searching for the alien entity, a high pitched sound comes out of the headphones of Commander Calvin Henderson and a soldier reports picking a frequency of 200,000 MHz, even though human can hear frequencies that span from 20 to 20,000 Hz.
- Mulder and Scully are driving after the women to the command center, it is raining hard. The woman has an accident and Mulder stops to check on her, it isn't raining anymore. They were right behind her.